In vegetarian

Tipsy Mushrooms With Potato Mash

Potato mash, probably one of my first culinary passions. I'm aware that the mushrooms should be the main focus of the dish but whenever there's mash potatoes involved, I have to backup Metallica when saying, nothing else matters. Ever since I was little I've loved mash potatoes- the creaminess, the taste, the comfort, everything. The pinnacle of comfort food for me. And, although I'm no stranger to eating them plain and straight out of the pan, a nice saucy companion, like these tipsy mushrooms, will surely take it to the next level. 
On the other hand mushrooms are a relatively recent liking for me but they definitely came to stay. I was used to only eating canned mushrooms, probably why I never really liked them in the first place, but when I tasted the "real" fresh mushrooms I was hooked. 


Also, as a Pescatarian, mushrooms are a great meat replacement as they are stacked with complex B vitamins and contain a decent amount of protein.













Tipsy Mushrooms with Potato Mash
 Ingredients
   (For the sauce)
·       1 onion
·       1 garlic clove
·       Olive oil 
·       300g white mushrooms (or any mushrooms of your preference)
·       Thyme
·       1 shot port (or red wine)
·       2/3 handfuls spinach leaves
·       Parsley
·       Salt & pepper

For the mashed potatoes I actually used store bought mashed potatoes because I wanted this to be a quick recipe but if you can please feel free to make your own, you know it will taste better!
  
Method
1.In a pan sauté chopped onion and minced garlic in olive oil   until soft (I always add a little bit of salt and pepper at this     stage because the salt keeps it from burning).
2.Add previously washed and chopped mushrooms and let it cook until soft or when the mushrooms start to get some color. Season with thyme.
3.Prepare a shot of wine, add to the pan and let it simmer until mushrooms are glazed. 
4.Whilst the mushrooms are cooking in the wine, roughly chop some spinach leaves and add it to the pan until soft (or extremely reduced in size).
5.Finish it by sprinkling chopped parsley and season it with salt and pepper to taste. Serve it in a large plate with the mash potatoes.

Happy eating!

Related Articles

0 comments:

Post a Comment

5 Tips To Visit Porto On A Budget

I was born and raised in Lisbon my whole life, and like everyone who at some point has come in contact with this city, I recognise its ...